Cinnamon and Coconut Pancakes with Roast Banana
As a diabetic I don't indulge in sweet stuff too much. But pancake day is a little bit of an exception. This recipe compared to a lot of recipes contains fairly little sugar, so if you are diabetic maybe this is the one for you. Its actually so easy to to make pancakes vegan and gluten free, This recipe is so simple! The cinnamon and coconut are really nice flavourings but if you remove them from the recipe you can make great plain pancakes too. This recipe makes more scotch/american style pancakes, think of Homer Simpson with a big plate of pancakes in front of him, than french crepe style pancakes.They are fluffy and moreish and indulgent and I really can't get enough of them! Also it is so much fun making pancakes, everyone can get involved. Me, my sister and boyfriend all took turns flipping them, I was definitely the worse! No hand eye coordination over here.
I served my pancakes with roasted banana, strawberries, blueberries and chocolate sauce from sweet freedom. I have to quickly sing the praises of this chocolate sauce, it's very low in sugar tastes great, and only contains Fruit Extracts; Apples, Grapes & Carob, Water, Cocoa, Rapeseed Oil, and a Natural Flavour (Chocolate). So even though you are eating chocolate, you can feel good while you do it!
For the pancakes
1 cup gluten free flour
1 1/4 cup almond milk (or any other dairy substitute)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of desiccated coconut
2 teaspoons sugar
For the roast banana
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1) Slice the bananas. Put the coconut oil in a bowl and microwave for 10 seconds so the oil melts to a liquid. Place the banana in the bowl and coat in the oil. Place on foil on a tray and place in the oven at 200'c for 10-15 minutes until the bananas have browned very slightly on top, check the undersides as they should have caramelised.
2) Mix together the dry ingredients from the pancakes mix. Pour in the milk slowly and whisk. Keep whisking until the batter is smooth, (it will never be completely smooth because of the coconut but it should contain no lumps of flour).
3) Warm a small amount of coconut oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. When the oil is hot add a ladle of the pancake batter.
4) Flip carefully when bubbles have appeared in the middle of the pancake and cook on the other side.
5) Repeat until all the batter has gone.
#pancakes #vegan #glutenfree #Fruit #chocolate #bananas #cinnamon #coconut #sweet #pancakeday